Monday 6 April 2009

First day done


A summary of the first day:
- Set off after a peaceful night of competitive snoring.
- down to malin with me worrying endlessly
- through cardonnagh and up the long gradual slope, into a rainstorm that I wouldn't describe as torrential, but it was definitely on the way to it.
- down a hill and along the coast for breakfast in Muff, yes it was very damp there.
- confusing couple of hours where we went the wrong way repeatedly and up some big bloody hill in a gale. I was absolutely knackered and that was before some total arses tried to send us the wrong way. We were onto their game though.
- a windy, windy time through the likes of St Johnston, Raphoe etc Eventually meeting up with ray in convoy.

Other highlights:
- not understanding a word anyone says
- Gary saying "I don't mind your feeling bad and moaning, but actually I have noticed the fucking wind, you don't need to tell me about that"
- my chain coming off and then me forgetting that my feet were clipped in when I stopped to try and sort it, slight tumble but I wouldn't really class it as falling off.

Here's a picture I took earlier:







Now in Ballybofey planning our assault on Sligo tomorrow so so we don't get lost and so ray doesn't have more lonely backtracking of doom. And there was some bone-crushing hours of silence too apparently.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, how far did you cover today? up to schedule or have you got some catching up to do? Jon M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry should have checked first, you covered 88kms today according to Google Map but due to the fair amount of wrong slotting you seem to have done you probably have done a lot more! Sligo is 90 km from where you are so with a bit of luck you might do a bit less tomorrow, good luck with the wind try to keep of the fibre!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jim...moaning....surely not? Good work boys. Wishing I was there with you.........actually I'm fibbing I'd rather be with Ray in the car! Better luck with the directions on day two. Don't expect any more luck understanding the Sligo accent today BTW. Steve M.

    ReplyDelete